Office Of The Clerk
The Clerk is the only non-elected person who regularly speaks in the Assembly. The Clerk of the House is the administrative and procedural head of the Assembly and oversees the day to day operations and affairs of the Parliament. The Clerk is assisted by the Deputy Clerk and Clerk Assistants.
Roles and Functions of Office of the Clerk of the County Assembly
The clerk of the assembly shall have the following duties and responsibilities.
- Assisting the Speaker and Members of the Assembly to organize the order of business including providing advice on house Procedure.
- Assisting the Speaker to run the house proceedings including having thorough knowledge of the rules of the House and tabling all documents presented to the house.
- Drafting private members bills and amendments.
- Certifying the passage of bills through the Assembly.
- Pursuant to section 12 (1) of the County Governments Act 2012,The Clerk of the County Assembly is the secretary of the County Assembly Service Board.
- He is the accounting officer of the County Assembly.
- Assisting with ceremonial occasions, such as the opening of Assembly and is required tom swear an oath of allegiance administered by the Speaker of the House to new Members of County Assembly.
Directorate of Legislation Services
The Department is currently headed by Mr. Omar Ahmed Ali who is also the Deputy Clerk of the Assembly. This Department ensures the running of the Assembly and more so in matters pertaining to legislation and generally committee activities. Its offices are those of Legal Services, Clerk Assistants, Hansard Recording, Research Services, Library Service and clerk at the table.
It is charged with the following mandates:
1. Protocol and Conferences Office; Assembly Organizations and Exchange Programs; Journals Office; County Assembly Service Board, Secretariat; Administrative and Financial Duties;
2. Offering administrative services to various types of Assembly committees including the County Assembly Service Board.
3. Planning and co-coordinating functions and operations of a section within the Clerk’s Chambers, namely: The Committee Office; Procedural Research;
4. Offering advice on procedure and practice to the Speaker, other Presiding Officers and Members of the County Assembly.
Administrative Services Department
This Department provides services, advice and guideline to ensure the general administration on the Assembly is facilitated. Its offices are those of HR & Administration Officer, Administrative Officer and all support staff.
This department is mandate to do the following:
- General office support
- Human resource management
- Public affairs/protocol
- Public participation
- Ward offices’ administration
- The main objective of this department is to attract, retain and maintain the right people. This is because it is through the support of staff members that the Assembly will be able to deliver its mandate.
Directorate Of Finance And Accounting
The finance department is one of the key departments in the County Assembly with the primary function of promoting good financial management at the county assembly and to provide an excellent level of service to the other departments.
This would in turn facilitate effective and efficient use of resources in achieving the mandate of the county assembly to the Lamu county populace and Kenyans at large.
The roles are broadly in the areas of Accounts, Finance, budgeting and technical support to the legislative process.
Sergeant at Arms Directorate
This department is charged with the following mandate
- GENERAL SECURITY OF THE ASSEMBLY
- GENERAL SECURITY OF THE MEMBERS
- GENERAL SECURITY OF THE STAFF
- ASSETS PROTECTIVE SERVICES
- TRANSPORT ADMINISTRATION
Directorate of Human Resources Management and Administration Services
The Directorate is currently composed of 15 staff members headed by Ms. Miriam Wanjiru Mwangi. This Directorate is charged with providing services, advice and guideline to ensure the general administration on the Assembly is facilitated. Its offices are those of Director, HR & Admin Services, HR & Administration Officer, Administrative Officer and all support staff.
This Department is mandated to do the following:
- Formulating, interpreting and applying human resource policy, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Planning, estimating and controlling Personnel emoluments, expenditure;
- Administration of pension schemes, gratuities, schemes of service and approval of leave;
- Managing staff performance and career development
- Managing staff insurance, salary advances and salary in advance;
- Providing guidance in matters related to appointments and placement, promotions and confirmation of staff;
- Budget and expenditure control for the Human Resources Department;
- Implementing the Advisory Committee, Selection Board decisions as regards appointments, promotions, discipline;
- Management of staff in Human Resource Department;
- Provision of office services
The main objective of this directorate is to attract, retain and maintain the right people by getting the ‘peoples’ issues’ right. This is because it is through the support of staff members that the Assembly will be able to deliver its mandate.
Directorate of ICT & Research
The director is supported by a great team of 12 staff members in hansard, ICT, Library, documentation, media & protocol and research sections.
The Directorate is mandated to do the following:
- Overall leadership of the Information and Research Services in the County Assembly
- Provision of analytical and fiscal research required to support the Members of the County Assembly and the County Assembly Service staff;
- Provision of guidance and direction on information, communication and technology needs of the County Assembly
- Provision of library services;
- Management of public relations, protocol and media relations;
- Provision of Assembly broadcasting services
- Management of information resources;
The directorate recognizes the critical role of ICT services in supporting the Assembly’s business and the provision of services for our staff and our stakeholders—the government, the public and our departmental partners.
It is therefore pursuing a concerted and coordinated effort to deploy modern office automation platforms, and local area networks at all ward offices, as well as an improved fast, reliable and secure communications network that is centrally managed to support the users.