Office Of The Speaker
The Constitution of Kenya article 178 (chapter eleven) provides that there shall be a Speaker for each county assembly who shall be elected by that House in accordance with the Standing Orders. A sitting of the county Assembly shall be presented over by the speaker of the Assembly.
Roles and Functions of Office of the Speaker of the County Assembly
The Speaker of the County Assembly shall have the following duties and responsibilities:-
- The Speaker of the County Assembly shall preside over all debates of the County Assembly and enforces the observance of the Constitution, the Standing Orders, relevant statute and Assembly traditions, procedures and practices;
- The Speaker protects the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way;
- Organizing the business of the House as he/she is the Chairman of the House Business Committee;
- The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writs for vacant County Assembly seats;
- The Speaker is the final authority on all matters touching on the interpretation and application of the practice and procedure of Assembly at all times.
- Spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly and by extension, Assembly, is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused;